Subject: Re: [Leica] New M-6 Version - now official
From: Guy Bennett <guybnt@idt.net>
Date: Thu, 3 Jun 1999 19:28:03 -0700

>The idea has merit.
>I for one would like to be able to open up an m conventionally.
>Think about it, would any one of us put up with the M loading scheme
>from anyone other than father Leitz. Batteries and aperture preferred
>+manual exposure would be fab. I just hope they don't ruin the Rangefinder
>with an autofocus only type scheme unless it comes available as part of a 3
>model range system: That's to say, manual only/meter,  manual+auto/meter
>and manual+auto/meter +AF.

sounds like contax.

My only worry is that with it's R&D umbilical cord
>cut off they just might not be able to compete with Contax or anyone else for
>that matter.

contax g2s are currently going for about $1300., that's after the $500.
rebate, and you know they offer rebates when the cameras are sellin' like
hotcakes...

It would be real neat to see this brand as an industry leader
>again rather than a curiosity with a loyal cult following even if it means
>going
>mass market as long as a super performance pro line remains.

cult following?

Hey, how about a
>post m series with built in motor and interchangeable backs!!!!! Yeah! Talk
>about professional. Only Contarex could compete, and there aren't any left

>nicely textured thick rubber is great too. It looks good and protects the
>body far better than leatherrettes. Wraparound is even better.

hey, they could call it the FMG-62!