Subject: RE: [Leica] Canon really has AF figured out...
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Fri, 4 Jun 1999 21:51:08 -0700

Hello Guy,
Clearly, the Leica M isn't suitable for shooting action like white water
rafting.  The M system has its special niche, and I think Leica is doing the
right thing by developing it slowly and deliberately, while keeping it true
to its roots as a fine photojournalist's tool.  The M system has a very
unique value proposition.

But what is the R system's unique place in the photographic world?  What are
the characteristics that set it apart from Canon, Nikon, et al?  Is it
better suited than any other brand of SLR for sports?  journalism?  studio
work?  Are the ergonomics of the R8 better than the Nikon F5 or Canon EOS1n?
No, the only factor that you can rightfully point to that sets the R system
apart from all others is the lenses.  And I'd argue that the incremental
improvement in image quality in the R system over other top lens lines is
too small to matter in most cases.

So, are these great lenses enough to offset the lack of features as compared
to other pro-grade systems?  I have a small R system, and love it, but I
never use it when I'm on an assignment...only when I'm shooting for fun.

On the other hand, I understand that camera manufacturers make very little
money from pros.  The consumer market is where the big money is made.  But
are most consumers more interested in a reasonably-priced product filled
with the latest electronic features and bearing a name they see
professionals using?  Or, are they interested in finely crafted Geman
machinery that works with fantastic lenses that cost as much as some compact
cars?

- --Jim