Subject: Re: [Leica] M6 Viewfinder
From: chefurka@magma.ca (Paul Chefurka)
Date: Sun, 06 Jun 1999 04:38:52 GMT

On Fri, 04 Jun 1999 20:20:20 -0500, you wrote:

>I have a M3 with 50mm and 35m RF summicron - so I've only used the 50mm
>bright frame in the M3 with the two lenses. I (must) wear glasses and I
>have to "look around" in the finder to see the edges of the bright
>frame.
>
>I've been thinking about getting a M6 Classic and 35mm f2 ASPH. I'm just
>not happy with the f2 performance of the 35mm summicron and the loss of
>view finder contrast with the goggles. My equipment is in excellent user
>condition, everything just CLA'd by Leitz, NJ. But still thinking the
>smaller 35mm frame would be easier on my "aging" eyes.

I use a 35 Summicron ASPH on an M4 and I'm very very *very* happy with
it. I think the frame lines are as accurate as they can be, given that
their coverage doesn't change as you focus closer.  I believe that the
frame lines are accurate at close focus, and the framing gets
progressively "looser" as focus approaches infinity - but by how much,
I can't say.

I don't think the 35mm frame on the M6 is actually any smaller (in
terms of viewing angle) than the 50mm frame on the M3 - I believe it
is about the same size.  So that means you will do the same amount of
"looking around" with the M6/35 combo as you so right now with the
M3/35.  The added contrast of the M6 finder without the goggles would
make for a much more pleasant experience, however.

Personally, I think that if you use a mostly a 35 and 50, and wear
glasses, an M6 classic and pair of Summicrons is a package that is
awfully hard to beat.

Paul