Subject: RE: [Leica] Canon really has AF figured out...BLASHPEMY? Or it i s?
From: Jim Laurel <jplaurel@microsoft.com>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 1999 16:15:28 -0700

I'm not saying that AF is a panacea.  In fact, for some really fast moving
objects it is practically useless.  Try shooting full-frame pictures of a
child on a swing, where the idea is to have the child fill the frame at the
top of the swing's arc.  Prefocusing is the only way you'll get that shot.
No AF system is fast enough.

There is a critical difference between whitewater rafting and your snowboard
racing and basketball examples.  In both case, you can be stationary, and in
the case of basket action shots or a snowboarder clearing a gate, you know
where the action is going to happen.

But the whitewater rafting scenario goes like this: You are often in the
lead boat, and have just cleared a rapid.  You pop open that Pelican case,
and there is still alot of water splashing about.  The other boats are
already in the rapid.  You try to get some footing by jamming your foot into
a corner of the boat.  You are moving downriver.  The other boats are too,
but at a faster rate, since they are in the fast water.  You are moving up
down and sideways.  It's all you can do to just get the right composition.
Plus, the action happens continuously.  Unless there's some specific
obstacle that's going to create drama of some sort like a big rock, there's
nothing to prefocus on.

Sometimes, you get lucky and that oarsman can let you off onto the riverbank
before the other boats enter the rapid.  In this case, everything is easier,
since you are on terra firms, but again, there is often no point of
reference to focus on.  The action happens continuously as the boat goes
through and having the camera maintain focus is very helpful.

- --Jim Laurel

Enjoyed your basketball shots, BTW!