Subject: RE: [Leica] Teens, Leicas and stuff (was:Canon really has AF figured out...BLASHPEMY? Or it is?)
From: Alan Ball <AlanBall@csi.com>
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 10:26:45 +0200

Jeff,

I know for a fact you are right. I've got quite a few friends in their
early twenties, including a couple of electronic imaging geeks, who really
consider the M as their ultimate dream photographic system. The cultural
elements behind the Leica lineage hit a sweet (red) spot among very many
people of all generations who show an interest in photography, in image (in
the full sense) and in the historical evolution of imaging technologies, as
well as in the history of the artistic expressions related to imaging.

There is no generation question here. There are cultural and financial
questions.

On the 'non-pro' side of the market, I'm absolutely convinced most keen SLR
photographers would buy Leica if they felt they could afford it. There is
huge respect out there for that hardware, despite the sarcasm that trickles
in this list. On the 'pro' side of the market, quite a few reasonable
arguments related to productivity and support cumulate with a trend towards
standardisation  to marginalise the Leica option, especially for SLR types
of applications.

I am BTW convinced that 'absolute best image quality' is an 'amateur'
grail, and that the requirement for most pros is 'get fast the images
that'll sell' . Leica (R) is usually not the best option for the latter.

I've read on this list quite a few posts of people explaining they use
Canon or Nikon systems for their professional work, and rely on a basic
Leica R system when they are masters of their time and production. It is
also a well documented fact that a lot of hard working SLR equipped
professionals keep a M+35 in the gear bag at all times. I fully understand
those choices.

It is not the lack of modern features that keeps Leica in a marginal niche.
It is the price level of the systems. But it is also that price level that
has allowed a small company like Leica to market the absolute best in 35mm
photographic hardware for three quarters of a century. Thanks to very
dedicated, loyal, knowledgeable and lucky users.

Alan