Subject: Re: [Leica] To Mr. Yao
From: "Dr. Joseph Yao" <yaojkfdr@netvigator.com>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 03:53:17 +0800

Giorgio,

I know very little about the Yasuhara T-981, as I am still waiting for
mine to be delivered.  It was ordered in September last year.

I am attracted to it because of its 1.0x finder, which provides even
greater magnification than the M3 viewfinder (0.91x).  Its internals are
derived from the Yashica FX-2000 SLR, in a similar fashion as the
Voigtlander Bessa-L is derived from the Cosina-manufactured Nikon
FM-10.  In both cases the prism and mirrors are removed.  Cosina
provided a second shutter in front of the original Copal metal verical
shutter to prevent light leak (because of the lack of a reflex mirror).
Yasuhara did not and there have been reports of light leaks with the
T-981.

As far as I know part of the T-981 is made in China and there have also
been reports of unreliability.  Like most new Japanese models, sales of
first six months are confinded to their local market only hence any
teething problems can be ironed out before exports begin.  I do not
think you can obtain one through the official channel yet in Italy.  If
you are interested I will point you to my contacts in Japan.

I am leaving for Vancouver in eight hours (see you very soon, Tom,
Tuulikki and Barnack!) and I will ask my friend in Japan to come up with
the latest information on my return.

Best regards,

Joseph