Subject: Re: [Leica] Digital film scanning
From: Maurice_Hamoy%STORACTIVE@storactive.com
Date: Tue, 8 Jun 1999 17:57:12 -0700

I have both the LS2000 and a newer Polaroid, the SprintScan 4000.  The
Nikon ICE feature is great, but you lose sharpness.  This sharpness is
never recoverable, even by post process sharpening.  The ICE algorithms get
the surface defects, but there is that sharpness price to pay.

The Polaroid scans at 4000 dpi, much higher than the Nikon, and I use
compressed air and a camels hair brush to clean my negs before I scan
them..I still need to touch up a few spots here and there but the sharpness
is remarkable and I have made wonderful enlargements from my leica negs
(M6, with and without Viso 111, several lenses).  I'd go for the Polaroid
if I were you.

Maurice