Subject: Re: [Leica] Fungus -- humidity? or darkness the catalyst?
From: MC Lau <mclau@pc.jaring.my>
Date: Wed, 10 Mar 1999 10:10:00 +0800

Malcolm WROTE:

The Akaruis were cheaper than the Toyo and work just as well. I think I
paid Sing$450 (US$1=Sing$1.7 approx) for each of the Akaruis. They are
400
mm wide, 400 mm deep and 800 mm high. That is about 128 litres by my
calculation.

<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<<

I too used 2 dehumidifiers for storing my photo gears.  It works well.
For the relative simple mechanism, I couldn't understand why it cost
more than the frigdes 3 to 4 the size:-)), and it is not make by Leica.

Prior to the days of the dehumidifiers, I stored my geras in a number of
air-tight containers with silica gels.  It works well too, but one has
to refresh the gel every 2 to 3 weeks.  Never have problems with fugus
when stored that way.  Can't say the same for my golf shoes though.  I
suspect shoe bags promotes the growth of fugus, and was quick to retire
the shoe bags :-)))

MC Lau
Malaysia

Singapore