Subject: Re: [Leica] Generation X Leica users
From: Martin Howard <marho@ikp.liu.se>
Date: Wed, 09 Jun 1999 14:22:24 +0200

Harold Gess wrote:

> We don't have extra disposable income for quality stuff, but I know I
> have made major lifestyle sacrifices in order to buy Leica equipment.
> I'm sure the same applies to others.

It sure does.  Hard prioritization is the name of the game, along with
noodle soup while the paychecks collect.  Don't own a car, don't own
a house or apartment, don't live expensively: sure, Leica on a budget
is possible, with a little determination.

> One of the great things about Leica is it isn't disposable and I hope
> it never goes that route.

This, of course, is one of the redeeming features of Leica.  The fact
that the stuff is supported decades after is goes out of production.
OK, the LTM stuff is a little harder to serviced now, but Leica itself
offers modifications for older M-gear, for example.

That, and the many dedicated, professional people who are devoted to
keeping this stuff running.  OK, is isn't cheap, but in the long run?
Well, I reckon that compared to replacing an EOS-kit every twelve
years, the thirty to sixty year run I'll be able to get out of my
Leicas (know that I'll kick it before they do) makes me confident that
my money is well spent.

Of course, then there is the fantastic quality of images and the wholly
sensuous experience of using them, but those are other stories.

M.

- --
Martin Howard, Grad. Schl. for Human-Machine Interaction,  |
HMI/IKP, Linkoping University, SE-581 83 Linkoping, Sweden.|    Just
Tel: +46 13 28 5741; Fax: +46 28 2579; ICQ: 354739         | say "DOOH"
E-mail: marho@ikp.liu.se; www.iav.ikp.liu.se/staff/marho/  +------------