Subject: [Leica] Mysterious SL2 MOT
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Thu, 10 Jun 1999 17:34:54 +0200

Friends,

Today I did something really crazy...I bought a Leicaflex SL2 in
absolutely mint condition for a reasonable price. The idea is to get a
60mm macro lens for it, as this is one kind of photography that I really
enjoy and that the rangefinder Leicas are not well suited for. The
camera is actually a SL2 MOT, of which according to the Leica Pocket
Book only 1020 were produced, all in 1975. Given this, I am somewhat
surprised at the price, although the motor did not come with--perhaps
that is the reason.

Anyway, the thing that intrigues me is that the serial number of the
camera seems off. According to the Pocket Book, my serial
number--14439xx--identifies the camera as a regular SL2 from 1976. Is
this an error in the book, or do I have some sort of sophisticated
fake??

Another question: as opposed to the regular SL and SL2, where the light
meter is switched off when the advance lever is in the "rest" position,
the SL2 MOT's meter is always on. This is confirmed by looking through
the camera and is also stated in the instructions. This concerns me, as
I imagine that the battery life must be very limited (after all, an M
battery will die in a matter of a couple of days if something in the bag
is pressing on the shutter release). Any SL2 MOT owners out there have
any experience with this?

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman