Subject: Re: [Leica] Let's move on
From: Dan Cardish <dcardish@microtec.net>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 15:03:33 -0400

In your other equally elitist condescending  post you mentioned you pay $3
per hour for connect time.  I was online for 270 hours last month.  That
works out to almost $10,000 per year.  How may LUGers want to pay $10,000
per year to read a bunch of longwinded crap about fountain pens and wrist
watches on a Leica mailing list?   Lets take a vote.

Dan C.

At 09:05 PM 13-06-99 +0400, you wrote:
>Dan Cardish wrote:
>
>> It may be that some people actually do pay to be on the list, in terms
>> of
>> connection time.  So for them, it is costly  to download endless
>> streams of
>> emails about fountain pens, when all they are really expecting is some
>> news
>> and info on Leicas.
>>
>> A friend of mine works in the engine room on board a container ship at
>> sea.
>>  She can email me from the ship, but she warned me when replying to
>> delete
>> her old message and to keep the message short, because of the costs
>> involved.  Subscribing to the LUG would not be a good idea for her,
>> even
>> though she is a budding photographer. ;-)
>
>This makes as much sense as saying that is unfair that someone can't
>afford a Leica, or a Ferrari, or a Rolex. When you're financially ready
>to subscribe to the LUG, do so. Until that moment, do without and learn
>to cope with that.
>
>Bernard
>

>> Dan C.
>>
>> At 11:33 PM 13-06-99 +1000, you wrote:
>> >
>> >You make  it sound like you have to pay to be on this list. You
>> don't. Its
>> for
>> >free, and so is the conversation and so are the topics.
>> >
>> >Regards, Horst Schmidt

The other post:

>> Well, I have a time unlimited fixed cost Internet account from a local
> dialup that costs me nothing, so it makes no difference to me.  But I
> have heard complaints from European Internet users who have to pay for
> their phone line connection.

I pay 3$ per hour for my connection. If I complain then it's not for
financial reasons. In fact, I'd like to see some more of that beautiful
HTML that Usenet calls a waste of bandwidth; it's so much more
expressive than ascii.

> I guess people on this list who have trouble deciding what colour ink
> to put in their $1,000 pens don't worry about these things, but some
> people do.

If you can't afford a good restaurant, don't go there. If you do go
there, don't complain about the price.