Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica M advice wanted
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Sun, 13 Jun 1999 17:10:17 -0300

All this talk about film and velvia in particular makes me think.  Is not
velvia known for not getting shadow detail or being too contrasty?  Your
typical European city will have narrow streets with lots of shade and a
dapling of sun between the building.  I would say with the great contrast
of Leica lenses, Velivia would be way too contrasty in these situations.
The Kodachrome family would probably be better, or even some of the
Ektachromes.  Didn't one of the National Geographic photographers shoot
Ektachrome 100 exclusively?  Maybe even one of the lower contrast Fuji
films as well, perhaps Astia.

I have been shooting a lot of AGFA RSX II lately for sports and I am very
impressed with the colours and the improved sharpness over the previous
RSX.  My soccer and sailing pictures from the past two weeks were on this
film.  I also did some bird photography with Velvia pushed one stop and
found it worked great in the early morning or late evening.  For general
photography, I think velvia is a bit too much.  I have also shot some
provia 100 and fine it very sharp and with good saturation.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/girls-soccer.htm

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/Sailing.htm

I guess I would suggest that before you do a trip, pick any film and shoot
a few rolls to see its capability.  Your initial thought Kodachrome 25, is
pretty slow and not availble except as professional film with processing
costs extra, Kodachrome 64 may be better as it can be had pretty cheap in
five packs with processing paid.  Jim Brick has used E200 in his M6 for a
European trip and was very impressed with it.  I have shot a few 100 foot
rolls of this and find it is a very good performer at EI 200 and pushed one
stop to EI 320.  My basketball shots were on this film at EI 320.

http://home.istar.ca/~robsteve/photography/ciau.htm

As for lenses, I would stick with a 35mm, 50mm, and a 90mm.  The super wide
angles just look strange when taking city street pictures because of all
the converging lines.  You will probably shoot most with the 35mm.

Regards,

Robert Stevens