Subject: Re: [Leica] Summarit/Summilux performance
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 17:18:12 -0400

At 04:37 PM 6/14/99 -0400, Dick Baznik wrote:
>The Summarit was a revelation in the 1960s, but I hardly ever use it now
>unless I want really soft images. It's also a much better lens with a
>shade, and what a lovely shade it is -- rectangular black metal, vented.

Well, the Summarit, a coated Xenon, might have been a revelation in the
1940's, when it was released, though, of course, it was far outshone by the
CZJ Sonnar of like specification, then available in LTM.

The 1.4/50 Summilux was available in its current form in the 1960's, and I
agree that the Summilux was, and still is, a true "revelation".

As to the lens hood for the 1.4/35 Summilux, whyever would this be a
problem?  The first version of teh 1.4/35 took E41 filters and a 12586 lens
hood, the later, Series VII, models teh 12504 hood.  I believe the latter
is still available new from Leica.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!