Subject: Re: [Leica] Summarit/Summilux performance
From: "Richard E. Baznik" <reb10@po.cwru.edu>
Date: Mon, 14 Jun 1999 16:37:44 -0400

Robert:

That would be a very sweet part of the year indeed.

My experience is with the Summarit (used with a IIf since the 1960s, and
occasionally since 1993 with an adaptor for M3 and M6) and the 35 Summilix
non-ASPH (used for the past six years).

The Lux is a superior lens in most ways, I think: sharper, better contrast,
and lighter. My only problem with it is its vulnerability to flare, made
more of a problem because it is difficult to find lens shades for some
versions. Do everything you can to locate a shade. There is an interesting
article on the 35 Summilux by Dick Gilcreast at the LHSA "Viewfinder" site
<http://www.pond.com/~lhsa/articles/summilux.html>.

The Summarit was a revelation in the 1960s, but I hardly ever use it now
unless I want really soft images. It's also a much better lens with a
shade, and what a lovely shade it is -- rectangular black metal, vented.

Bon chance!///Dick Baznik
___________

At 09:04 PM 6/13/99 -0400, Robert wrote:
>Bonsoir,
>
>  In a couple of weeks I ll probably be in the very sweet period of the year
>when I will be able to afford another M lens (new or used? we ll see).  I do
>a fair amount of shooting in low light and my budget only allowed me the use
>of a Summarit (SM with adapter) on my M5.  I am thinking of either the 50 or
>35 Summilux (non ASPH).  Anyone knows first hand the performance of these 2
>lenses wide open (1.4 & 2) in comparison to the Summarit?

Richard E. Baznik
Vice President for Public Affairs
Case Western Reserve University
10900 Euclid Avenue, Cleveland, Ohio 44106-7021, U.S.A.
Voice: (216) 368-2338
Fax: (216) 368-6674