Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: 50, 35
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:56:03 EDT

In a message dated 6/15/99 9:36:54 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
dwpost@email.msn.com writes:

<< I cannot understand why the Summaron is thought to be such a 'dog'! I
 picked up one for my LTM so I could round out the thread mount kit, and was
 quite pleased with the results. Not a good as the Summicron I use with the
 M, but still respectable performance, even by today's 'standards'.
 I found that if I used the ITDOO hood, the flare was minimal, and contrast
 improved, and while not as sharp as the Summicron, it was good nonetheless.
 Dan
 - I don't suffer from stress...I am a carrier! >>

        I don't know, either.  I think it's probably unfair to compare one
lens to another of a much later generation.  Kind of like saying the Intel
486 is a slug.  At the time it was blazingly fast.  I've had the LTM Summaron
since I was a teen. Tiniest 35 I've ever seen, and quite decent performance
for its generation.  I've got an M-mount Summaron (f2.8) which by the
mid-apertures holds its own against a mid-70's Summicron.  Most of the
improvements in modern lenses seems to be in terms of contrast and fine
detail at the one or two largest apertures.

DT