Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica - film stability
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:45:38 EDT

In a message dated 6/15/99 8:42:03 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
skobrin@yahoo.com writes:

<< I am concerned with
 deterioration of "professional" film, especially if it
 is neither developed nor refrigerated for a week or
 more after it is shot.  Am I being too careful or
 should I use the two "consumer" versions of Ektachrome
 on these trips??  Also, can anyone recommend a Fuji
 chrome film faster than Velvia, which I do use quite a
 bit, (but have the same reservations about storage).

Steve, *all* film "ripens" along a curve, from the date of manufacture, to a
peak, then gradually deteriorates.  Pro film is not shipped to the dealers
until it hits the peak, whereupon it is refrigerated (freezing is actually
better) to retard further aging.  Amateur film is shipped right away, and how
far along its ripening curve it is when you buy and use it is subject to a
few unknown variables, since you don't know exactly when it was manufactured
or at what temperature(s) it has been subjected to.  Just how critical this
all is is open to individual use and opinion.  In any event, unless film is
really cooked (like in a hot car) it isn't likely to deteriorate noticeably
due to lack of refrigeration in the time-frame you mention.  If you possibly
can do so, keep any film (especially the exposed film) in an insulated cooler
away from direct sunlight.  When I travel I keep my film in ziplock bags and
place them either in the mini-bar refrigerator or a wastebasket with some ice
cubes each night.  If I'm travelling by car in a hot climate I buy one of
those inexpensive styrofoam coolers on location and keep my film iced in it.
This regardless of whether its pro film or not.

The faster Fuji chrome film I've had good luck with is Provia (or Sensia, the
amateur version).  If you want the type of saturation of Velvia, there's a
lot of talk about the new 100VS and it's amateur counterpart , from Kodak.  I
haven't used them yet, but a friend who has tells me they give up some
sharpness and grain to 100S and SW.

DT