Subject: Re: [Leica] Leitz enlarger lens: Elmar 1:3.5/50 mm and Focotar 1:4.5/50mm
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 00:09:45 +1000

Tomoaki Hagiwara wrote:

> Hello Leica users,
>
> I saw Leitz enlarger lens Elmar 1:3.5/50mm at a certain camera shop today.
> At a glance, it looked like Focotar 1:4.5/50mm; it was impossible for me to
> differ between them without lens name engraved on the front rings.
>
> What kind of lens the Elmar is?
> I would like to know the composition of lens element, the enlarging
> performance compared with Focotar 1:4.5/50mm.
>
> Any information is greatly appreciated.

  Tomoaki,
I own both, the 50mm Elmar enlarging lens and the Focotar. I think the Focotar
is far superior to the Elmar.
The Elmar enlarging lens is a standard Elmar layout (4 elements with cemented
back element).
where as the Focotar a 5 element lens is. (As far as I can remember) .
The Focotar is also specially computed for enlarging.
I only used the Elmar a couple of time, to see how it performs. Now it is just
a part of my collection.
 Regards,  Horst Schmidt