Subject: Re: [Leica] Film stability
From: "Moore,Andrew" <moorea@andovercontrols.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 09:22:54 -0400

> I am off on two trips this summer of 1-2 weeks where I will not be
> able to refrigerate film, either before or after shooting.

I took Kodak E100S on a week-long trip last month, and it held up fine
(as far as I can tell) in 65 to 70 degree temperatures.  If you're
carrying everything in a small bag, position it on whichever shoulder
is out of the direct sunlight, to keep things a little cooler.  If
you're using a backpack, consider carrying a separate, smaller bag
over the shoulder just for your film, so you can eaisly position it
out of direct sunlight -- or bury it deep in your pack (clothing works
pretty well as an insulator).

> Also, can anyone recommend a Fuji chrome film faster than Velvia,

I hear that E100VS is pretty much a faster Velvia, though it's Kodak
not Fuji.  I've never tried it.  Consider E100S too.  Try a roll
before you take your trips.

Also, during the entire trip, I was careful about carrying my camera
bag on whichever side of my body was out of direct sunlight, just to
keep the film a little cooler.

- --Andrew
no archive