Subject: [Leica] Re: Useful tripod ?
From: Jim Brick <jimbrick@photoaccess.com>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 21:48:40 -0700

I've owned and used every tripod known to man. Everything from a Majestic,
Sanford-Davis (sp?), Tiltall, Cullman, Velbron, etc, etc, etc. Even an 026,
which is basically a toy. There are occasional situations where it could be
useful.

After fifty years of this stuff, I have arrived at what I consider to be
the two greatest tripods available today. They are v-e-r-y light weight and
v-e-r-y steady.

For 35mm I use a Gitzo 1228 carbon tripod. I have a small Gitzo pan-tilt
head (old version of the 1171) and a B1 ball head. Sometimes a situation
calls for one over the other. I also have a Gitzo shoulder strap attached
for easy unobtrusive carrying. Carry it with the head (heaviest part) down.

For 4x5, I have a Gitzo 1349 carbon tripod. I use a medium Gitzo 1371
pan-tilt head.

These two tripods are very light weight, very sturdy, and actually help
dampen camera shutter and mirror vibrations where rigid steel tripods tend
to, many times, amplify the vibration. See both George Lepp's and Erwin's
comments on carbon fiber tripods and wood. After using them, since their
inception, I'm a true believer.

If you want to make big prints AND use slow shutter speeds, you have to use
a tripod.

Jim