Subject: Re: [Leica] Tri-Elmar and Depth of Field Hyperfocal distance
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Tue, 15 Jun 1999 14:32:47 -0700

Christian Payot wrote:

> Nathan Wajsman a écrit :
>
> > Hyperfocal distance is a function of (1) aperture; (2) focal length. So in your
> > examples below, it is correct that in the first case your hyperfocal distance is
> > 8' and 12' respectively.
>
> Nathan,
> It seems, you forgot (3) diameter of circle of confusion...
>
> Regards,
> Christian Payot

Which simply determines how soft a thing is allowed to be when it is
considered to be in focus. I find for perhaps critical work that say if
I'm at F11 I'll use the F8's to put my image into giving myself some
leeway. I imagine by doing this I am deciding that their circle of
confusion is not small enough for my tastes.
For years I thought the circle of confusion was a running joke by the
photography teachers and I refused to fall for it. "Oh yeah, the circle
of confusion, that explains everything, wink wink"
Mark Rabiner
the circle of confusion should be an elite photography snot group