Subject: [Leica] Heliar impressions
From: Nathan Wajsman <nathan.wajsman@euronet.be>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 07:09:41 +0200

Friends,

I now have the first roll of slides taken with the M6+15mm Heliar
combination. As I wrote earlier, this lens is great fun to use. Looking
at the slides, I did not know what to expect. I am spoiled by my 24mm
Elmarit; the Heliar certainly does not come up to that standard. But
then again, it is really not fair to compare a 15mm lens with a 24mm
lens. Perhaps the more relevant comparison is with my Tokina 17mm lens
for Pentax SLR, and this comparison is won by the Heliar.

Here are some examples of Heliar pictures. These are selected not so
much for their "artistic merit" if any but rather to illustrate the use
of this lens. For that reason, there is no manipulation such as
sharpening, colour correction or cropping. All four pictures were taken
on E100VS and scanned with the Nikon LS-2000.

My first test subject was of course my famous backyard:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/downs/1704/bkyrd.JPG

I think that the focal length works well here.

I then went to a baseball closing ceremony at the International School
of Brussels and photographed these teammates signing each other's
shirts:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/downs/1704/bsball1.JPG

This one shows why this is not the most flattering lens for people
photography especially if they are at the edges of the frame!

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/downs/1704/bsball2.JPG

Notice the flare/colour fringing in the upper right hand corner of the
image.

And in the evening I strolled around Grand' Place in Brussels:

http://www.geocities.com/MotorCity/downs/1704/grplace.JPG

In summary, I think that the Heliar is a great addition to my Leica
outfit, although it is so extreme that it will clearly see little use
except in special situations. But for less than $500 it is a good buy,
especially when you consider that the only other wide angle of this type
available for Leica rangefinder, the 16mm Hologon, costs about 8 times
as much. I hope Erwin will have a chance and the inclination to subject
the Heliar to his rigorous test regimen some time.

Nathan

- --
Nathan Wajsman
Overijse, Belgium