Subject: Re: [Leica] Heliar impressions
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 19:19:15 EDT

<< >In summary, I think that the Heliar is a great addition to my Leica
 >outfit, although it is so extreme that it will clearly see little use
 >except in special situations. But for less than $500 it is a good buy,
 >especially when you consider that the only other wide angle of this type
 >available for Leica rangefinder, the 16mm Hologon, costs about 8 times
 >as much.
 >Nathan >>

I image you're speaking of the *original* Hologon for the Leica M, as I have
seen conversions of the Contax G1/G2 Hologon in the $2500 range.  I'm told
that there are different conversions and some are better than others, but in
any case the Contax Hologon seems to have a very fine reputation.  Still, if
the 15mm is going to be a little-used novelty lens then $500 is about the
right price.  There is that ubiquitous Japanese-made 21mm that sells for
about the same price, and I know of a number of people who've bought it for
"occasional use", fallen in love with the 21 look and ended up with a Leica
21.  So, start saving your pennies. There may be a Hologon in your future.

DT