Subject: [Leica] 50mm Elmar and 90mm F4 Elmar
From: "Robert G. Stevens" <robsteve@hfx.andara.com>
Date: Wed, 16 Jun 1999 16:42:12 -0300

I just bought a pair of lenses and was wondering the history of them and
what they may be worth.  They are both M mount lenses and the 50mm Elmar is
a collapseable ser 1602703 and the 90mm F4 ser 1572192 is rigid with a
removeable lens head for visoflex uses I assume.  Before anybody asks, the
90mm looks to be an M mount with the red dot and not an adapted screw
mount.  Both lenses are marked in feet and have the now standard F stop
markings.

The 90mm is the one that intrigues me the most.  It came in a bubble case
and looks brand new with no fogging or fungas and beautiful chrome. The
focus on it is very very smooth too.  How good of a performer was this
lens?  I took a few shots with it this afternoon, but I probably will not
develop the film until tomorrow.

As for the 50mm, I was expecting a collapseable Summicron and when I saw it
was an elmar I was a bit disappointed.  The deal was for a pair of lenses,
so I took the Elmar at a reduced price.  It is in fine shape too, but has a
few specks on the front element that don't clean off.  I guess the older
coating could be affected if you left stuff on them too long.  These are
the same marks you get on modern lenses from oily dandruff or the like.  On
modern glass they just clean off.  On this one they seem to have stained
the coating.

If anybody is interested in the 50mm Elmar, I will be putting it up for
sale Friday, but I am open to offers on it now.  I am going to play with
the 90mm and see how I like it.  It may be for sale soon too.

Regards,

Robert