Subject: [Leica] which 90mm M lens is best value for $$$ ?
From: "Eric Chong" <shutterbug@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Sun, 20 Jun 1999 03:03:43 +0800

hi all LUGers!!!

I must first tell all of u that.. I truly enjoy reading the digests.  Let me
update all of u on my status:

 I'm now using a mint- M3 SS with a 50/DR Summicron. I bought another 35
summaron just 1 month later. So far, I have been shooting portraits, school
events and candids.  After barely shooting with Leica stuff for about 2
months, I have done two free-lancing, one wedding shoot and an outdoor
portrait shoot. My 'clients' like the punchy colours rendered by my 50/DR
Summicron and the mood on my Sephia prints.

NOW, for the main stuff:

I'm going to get married at the end of this year. Of course, I'll be
cash-strapped.  Been just a newbie in the business world, I've modest
savings. But I've already invested quite a sizable portion of Leica. So
every lens that I buy ... must be worth many times its worth. It's like.. it
must be the 'best value' lens.

My 50 DR is THE lens for me. I always mount it on M3. But I'm going to sell
my Summaron 35... as I need more speed. I'll either a used (latest
generation) 35 summicron non-ASPH or a  used 35 summicron ASPH... becos' i
know that any of these is the 'best' 35mm lens .

I can foresee that I need a 90mm lens next time. Can u kind souls out there,
pls advice on my next 90mm purchase? I shoot portraits, I would like to have
nice bokehs... so which 90 do u recommend? I do not want to buy the new
series. I've heard that the 'super-thin' 90 tele-Elmarit f2.8 is a great
lens. The first generation 90 Summicron is also been highly recommeded.
Which one is THE best value for money 90???

I'm sorry for the long mail. I'll shooting for the next three days @Sentosa,
while u work out the solution for me. I'll bringing 2 rolls of Kodak 100VS
and  T-max 400 CN only.

happy shooting

ericssan

- --
Chong Yen Yong, Eric
Educator/Photographer/Mac User
Yishun Junior College
Department of Mathematics

ICQ: 1280 5335
* This mail is been sent out by my most wonderful Apple Powerbook G3
(a.k.a.Yuffie)!