Subject: Re: [Leica] which 90mm M lens is best value for $$$ ?
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 19 Jun 1999 15:54:30 -0700

Eric Chong wrote:
><snip> I do not want to buy the new
> series. I've heard that the 'super-thin' 90 tele-Elmarit f2.8 is a great
> lens. The first generation 90 Summicron is also been highly recommeded.
> Which one is THE best value for money 90???><snip>

Despite one or two people who love theirs there was a consensus here to
stay away from that experiment in over compactness on the part of Leitz
the last few times we talked about this. My personal experience with the
lens was horrific, it was really terrible. I didn't expect this from
Leitz but I've had 4 years to get over it. Earlier versions of the lens
(the Elmirit) are closer to the wonderful current version which I'm
maintaining in my camera bag despite huge raves about the new Summicron.
Despite your apparent love for the look of the older optics and their
lower prices I would strongly recommend getting a used current Elmarit.
It is well balanced and sublime.
Spend less money on shrimp and deviled eggs!
Mark :-) Rabiner