Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL Question
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 00:29:37 -0600

"Lee, Ken" wrote:
If I am diluting the developer 1:2
> how much developer do I need? What times do you use? With extended
> development times you can get up to 15 rolls per litre of stock solution (3
> litres diluted). This would translate to 200ml dilute solution per roll, but
> do I increase the times and by how much?
> Am I making this more complicated than it needs to be?
> Is anyone using a Jobo with XTOL?  What is your experiance?

The current Xtol datasheet is April 1998-J109.

On the matter of how much active ingredient to use, they are very
specific (page 2, "Capacity"):

"We recommend always starting with at least 100 mL of full-strength
developer to prepare the diluted solution for each 135-36 or 120 roll.
for example, with a 1:3 dilution, this would produce about 400 mL of
solution. This is the minimum amount per roll, even though a lesser
amount may be adequate to cover the film"

Hence, if you wish to dilute to 1:2, you will be using 300 mL of dilute
solution per roll of film. As the CPE-2 maxes out at 600 mL (and only if
you fill the bottles to capacity) you will be doing 2 rolls at a time,
tops.

As I am using fresh, dilute developer on a one-shot basis, I am not
compensating my developing time any.

Jeff