Subject: Re: [Leica] HCB method
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 01:31:11 -0700

Bernard wrote:

> csocolow wrote:
>
> > Carlos Blanco wrote:
> > >
> > > Some days ago, while I was teaching, one of my pupils asked me about
> > the way
> > > HCB has taken "Dehors la gare de St Lazare". I gave him my
> > suppositions,
><snip>
> > >
> > > thank you for your opinions and knowledge
> > >
> > > carlos
> >
> > I seem to recall that he did one of two approaches. Either he would
> > see
> > a situation or setting and set up waiting for the final element. For
> > example, the bicyclist at Hyere whizzing past the curved stairway.
><snip>
> > I read where he was great at being invisible. "The Artless Art"
> > published by Bullfinch Press has wonderful writing about his approach.
>
> Yes, but....... this was all a long time ago, and back then people
> didn't feel assaulted when they got a camera stuck in their face. Now
> that things have changed (somehow), even "decent" people feel that
> strange urge to assault the photographer, instead. Or sue you for
> whatever and for nothing at all. But that's just part of US culture,
> these days; the suing part, I mean.
>
> Bernard

I agree Bernard:
We photographers need to fire our PR guy. Our image gets worse everyday.
Reminds me of that "2000 year old man" skit. Carl Reiner and Mel Brooks.
Mel is Robin Hood being asked by interviewer Carl if he really stole
from the rich and gave to the poor:
"No we stole from everybody and kept everything...but we had this PR guy
named Melvin!!!!"
The AAMP needs to hire someone like Melvin.

The Princess Di thing has gotten us really bottomed out.
Even we believe we're creeps.
"Excuse me Sir but can I take a photo of your wife in front of this
fountain here so I can chop her head off and put it on the internet. I
think it might look good on Mamie Van Doren! Whata ya think?"
Well I'm going to think of something perverted to go do. Like sleep.
Mark :-) Rabiner