Subject: Re: [Leica]Was HCB method/WA lenses/etc.
From: csocolow <csocolow@microserve.net>
Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 19:17:28 -0400

Andrew Nemeth wrote:

SNIP

> Recently I covered an international triathlon even at the
> Sydney Opera House forecourt.  All the photogs ('xept me!)
> were walking around with either 18mm's or lenses the size of
> their legs.  Can't help thinking they were all basically
> taking the same shot.  A quick scan of the following day's
> newspapers only confirmed this.
>
> & BTW, I was the only L-man in the crowd.  The rest were all
> slavishly Canon EOS1/1n.  Yep, not a single Summicron, or lux
> or even Nikon that day.  :^(
>
> Andrew Nemeth

Andrew,

While I agree with you regarding content and style of photos done by
herd mentality photographers, I disagree about your use of the term
"slavishly" regarding Canon EOS1/1n equipment.

I use Canons for much of my professional work as do several other
LUGgers including (correct me if I'm wrong) Harrison McClary and Donal
Philby. I use my Leicas primarily for my personal work although if
circumstances dictate I'll use it for my paying jobs. My reasons for
using the Canon products are not because everyone else is using them. I
use them because they work. I wouldn't mind the strength of Nikon's
flash matrixing but I've found great workarounds with Canon's flash
systems. I also find I can implicitly trust Canon's matrix metering in
most lighting situations. The system works. That's why pros use them.

I do commend you for thinking outside the box when it comes to your own
image making. That's what gets photographers noticed: when they produce
something different from everyone else. Keep it up.

- --
Carl Socolow

http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/