Subject: Re: [Leica] Photog visit to Chicago
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 26 Jun 1999 17:07:39 -0700

Ron and BeeLian Miller wrote:

> Hi friends,
>
> My husband, Ron, will be heading out to the Chicago area on July 8th &
> 9th for a seminar. The stay could be extended through the weekend if I
> tag along too. The only question is what to do there during the 8th and
> 9th as Ron will be in class the whole day and studying nights.  Can
> anyone suggest places to shoot or visit which are fairly accessible to
> someone who is a stranger to the city? Would navigating around the
> sights be a daunting task as I'll be driving and juggling maps by
> oneself? How easy is it to get into and around the Chicago city from
> Lisle (where we will be staying)? How far away is Lisle from Chicago?
>
> Are there any LUGgers from here?
> If there's any chance of spending a day or two with any fellow LUGgers,
> that would be great!
>
> Cheers,
> Bee Lian

I'm from Chicago living there between the ages 10 to 20 in 1960-70 and
have the map out because we got the Viewfinder magazine last night from
the Leica Historical Society of America (LHSA) talking about the trip to
Chicago which we are hyped on going. I'm from Winnneka/Northfield which
is way north East and you will be way south west but I looked it up. You
will be in a tiny area between Naperville and Downers Grove. (Here we
have Boring, Oregon:)
Its about 15 miles west of Chicago City limits.
On the way into town on 38 and then the Eisenhower expressway you go
just north of the huge Brookfield Zoo, Stickney, and you go through Oak
Park Home of Hemingway and a very cool neighborhood with Frank Lloyd
Wrights. Chicago is a City and area of 50 great neighborhoods and top
architecture which is why I am visiting there on the October LHSA
meeting. A million things to see and do otherwise. Get some books and
maps it will be worth it. I spent $50 on books and maps and it is my
home town (of sorts).
It's strange visiting your home town as a tourist.
I will be doing the boat ride through the loop which will deliver the
best shots with the LHSA as seen in "My Best Friends Wedding" with Julia
Roberts etc. I strongly recommend doing the same.
But we won't have Julia Roberst but then she didn't have a hundred
balding white guys with little cameras.
A friend just got back and did some great shooting on the tour boat with
the 21 ASPH! Looked great but he would have been better off with a 24 or 35!
Stick around for 4 months and we'll all see you there!
Mark Rabiner