Subject: Re: [Leica] wide-angle lenses and darkroom magic!
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 08:30:13 -0400

One of the reasons I liked my old Durst M601 was that the head swiveled, and
the lens platform at the bottom of the barrel had what amounted to a shift
and tilt.... by putting the film plane, the lens plane, and the plane of the
easel where they converged at a common point, you got to use the "Scheimflug
Effect", which is normally a Large format camera tactic, on a smaller
negative! Since it is useful for keeping the whole image in focus at a
relatively large aperture, it also corrects the exposure since you don't
have to dodge the side of the image closest to the lens!
I still have the photo of a old sign shot with a 'blad in very tight
quarters- and I straightenend the sides of the sign- like using a shift
swing on a view camera--- before 'blad had a Flexbody!
Dan