Subject: Re: [Leica] wide-angle lenses and darkroom magic!
From: "Henning J. Wulff" <henningw@archiphoto.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 16:09:26 -0700

Dan Post wrote:

>relatively large aperture, it also corrects the exposure since you don't
>have to dodge the side of the image closest to the lens!

Actually, that's not true. The amount of dodging depends wholly on how much
bigger the area on wider side of the image is than on the narrow, after
tilting the film or easel. Just like in a view camera, the exposure
difference from one side of the film to the other depends on the amount of
tilt. It all comes back to the same reason, that a given amount of light
has to cover a bigger area on one side of the fil (paper) than the other.

I've had the tilting film stage for the Focomat Ic for a long time, which
gives me the same advantages as the Durst, and on any axis besides. I think
they are fairly rare, but work quite well, within a limited range and at
any f-stop, as there is no DOF problem.

   *            Henning J. Wulff
  /|\      Wulff Photography & Design
 /###\   mailto:henningw@archiphoto.com