Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: Good LEICA starter body
From: Guido Soprano <guidosoprano@hotmail.com>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 11:21:58 EDT

A vote for the SL, or the even more cost-effective Leicaflex Standard.

A big plus for the SL is the spot metering. Also with the SL, the screen is
very bright, so even the 35/2.8 looks like a 35/2 on other brands.

Also think about the old mechanical Canon F1, it makes the SL look
lightweight. Incredibly robust, semi-spot metering, takes a drive, the FD
SSC lenses are excellent and very cheap, the finder is interchangeable.
Another big plus is that if you're a Leica user, the Canon FD lens rings
work in the same direction as Leica.
The F1 screenisn't the brightest, however. Try to get the later model (asa
to 3200, plastic tipped advance lever, plus internal mod's) with the
brighter L screens 0 or for around $50, Bill Maxwell can brighten your view.

For both of these you'll have to deal with the PX625 battery issues.
(recalibrate, source 625's, use alternative "equivalents" e.g Wein, etc)

Don't go for a Nikon FM, the shutters are different to the Fm2, and not
Nikon-serviceable any more.

Guido