Subject: Re: [Leica] Loading the film
From: "Roger L. Bunting" <rlbunting@ameritech.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 18:24:14 -0500

I just bought a new M6 and the seller asked me to call when it arrived
and he would walk me through the film loading. Now I thought that seemed
pretty silly, but called anyway. Boy was I supprised. Since all this
happened this week I thought I'd write it down before I forgot it. This
is going to sound very elementary but I'm trying to paraphrase as
closely as possible.

0) empty the camera of the previous film if necessary
1) check that the rewind lever is in the take-up (not rewind) position
2) advance and release the shutter
3) with the camera bottom up, remove the camera base plate and allow the
door to open
4) withdraw enough film from the cartridge to reach to the center of the
three prong takeup spool
5) insert the cartridge in the camera and work the film through to the
center of the takeup spool
6) with your left thumb work the film over the takeup sprocket (at this
point due the the shape of the leader only the "bottom" sprocket will
probably engage.
7) still holding the film in place, take up any excess with the rewind
crank (very lightly)
8) now place the base plate on the camera (with the film-plane door
still open)
9) advance the film until the other sprocket engages and gently work the
film between the guide rails - caution here as the shutter is just
behind the film
10) gently close the film-plate door until it lightly touches the
baseplate.
11) raise the baseplate enough to capture the film-plate door
12) lock down the baseplate
13) advance the film and release the shutter (for two frames) - check
that the rewind crank is turning with each film advance.
14) enjoy .... just so we didn't have to end with 13.

All of this is just to ensure that the take up sprockets are engaged,
the film is correctly positioned between the rails and everything is
tensioned properly so the film doesn't flex and disengage the takeup
when you close the doors. Watching the rewind lever move on the initial
advance is just old hat.

Anyway, FWIW....

Regards,

Roger

PS: I'm really looking forward to the new M6 Classic and 35mm Summicron
ASPH. Now what to do with my M3.