Subject: [Leica] Leica Camera body metallurgy
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 99 10:03:46 +1000

Been emailing off list with Frank Dernie about the use of Titanium
and other alloys for camera use.

As it may interest LUGgites, and with Frank's permission, allow me
to re-post the following to the list:

N.B.  Here 'ally' means "aluminium".

I note that Minolta have started to use stainless steel for more
than just the lens mount flange.  If you have a look at the detailed
review of the Minolta Maxxum 9 in 'Popular Photography' Mar 99, at
pp.84 and 86 there is mention of the extensive amount of SUS 304
used for the body front and top plates.  A first?...

Extrapolating a few years into the future, imagine a solid stainless
steel, fully manual, built-in motor R9!  Now *that* would be a camera
to behold!

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth
www.nemeng.com