Subject: Re: [Leica] HCB method
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 19:34:46 -0800

Marc James Small wrote:
> probably, I will be publicly or privately pilloried by them for posting
> this, as I often am, but I do NOT understand why a 90mm head-and-shoulder
> shot at ten feet is not as good as a 35mm shot at 3 feet.

Alright, Marc, hands straight out in front, hold still til we get the
top part closed.  there.

First, I dont think editors tell photographers what lens to use.  It's
never happened to me.  Maybe an AD for an ad compaign, but that's
different.    Second, there is an intimacy with the wider lens that a 90
just never has, at least for me.  Thirdly, if used right (attitude,
skill, personality, timing, etc.) the 35 should not be a problem.
Fourthly, I see in 35mm.  Sometimes a little wider.  It is not about
invasion of privacy.  Just about getting in the middle of the
scene--sort of like the difference between a legal document and people
shouting at each other in the court room.

donal
- --
Donal Philby
San Diego