Subject: Re: [Leica] flare with 90 mm lenses
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 11:45:38 -0700

Raimo Korhonen wrote:

> You make a brave statement - flare? - when I dared to imply that Leica
> wasn´t at the very top in the area of lens coatings I got reprimanded. But
> my experience of the Elmarit-M is the same as yours - and my Summicron-M
> was a quantum leap in the right direction, too.
> All the best!
> Raimo
> Photos at http://personal.inet.fi/private/raimo.korhonen
>
> ----------
> > Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 12:22:42 +0000
> > From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
> > Subject: Re: [Leica] 90 mm Collapsible
>
> > ><< I have a 90 Elmar M collapsible which takes beautiful pictures and in
> my
> > > opinion  beats the quality I get with my 90 elmarit-M which is a rather
> > > flary lens.
> > >
> > > Dan K. >>
> > >Are you speaking of the 1st M-mount Elmarit, or the current E46 model?
> I've
> > >never encountered flare with the new one, and I'm one of those *horrid*
> > >UV-filter-always-except-with-backlit-scenes types
> > >DT
> > >
> > I have used the Thin Elmarit and was devastated by the flare with even
> > sidelighting inspite of an adequate shade.  I am using the current E46
> > elmarit which is slightly better but flare is still noticeable with
> > slightly angled backlighting.  I am now very careful to use it only with
> > the main light behind me.
> >
> > On the other hand the 90 summicron is one superb lens and it is the top
> of
> > the crop (no experience with the APO one though).
> >
> > Dan K.

I disagree with both you guys on the current Elmarit M. Mine has not
problems of any sort other than being too sublime for the Earthy world.
I doubt the previous (NON APO ASPH) Summicron exceeds it in any way
other than weight and F stop.
But I agree with Dan's dislike of the "Thin Elmarit" but feel its
problems go beyond flare and that no lens shade could cure.
Are we talking about the Tele-Elmarit here? I think we are.
The new APO ASPH Summicron undoubtably leaves them all in the dust and I
would get it if it were not for the results from my current Elmarit
being not less than exquisite.
Mark Rabiner