Subject: [Leica] LEICA M4, M4-2, M4-P, M4 MOT
From: Andre Jean Quintal <megamax@abacom.com>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 16:31:41 -0400

Good Afternoon,

	I just received my personal copy of LEICA "program"
	and have been musing over the "classic" Leica M models,
	just to see which ones would really tickle my fancy.

	It seems the black Leica M4-2 [ 1977 ] has my subconscious
	aroused enough to post this, as it seems it has all the charac-
	teristics of the classic "classic", nothing to distract or
	unduely attract attention, black, black, black:

	--> what is the real difference between the
		various incarnations of the Leica M4 ?

	--> are they all Made in Germany ?

	--> does Leica M4 MOT mean it has an internal winder ?
		OR that it has some special whatever that
		requires a special add-on motor drive underneath ?

	--> do they all have integral metering ?
		Is one model considered more accurate ?

	--> what does the 'P' in Leica M4-P refer to ?
		Does the red dot read 'Leitz' on this model ?
		Could this mean 'Portugal', as I've read Leica
		has a plant over there ?
		Or an especially ruggedized "professional"
		version ( over and above the 'regular'
		Leitz / Leica quality standards) ?

	--> to a connoisseur photographer, is one of these
		considered more of a "dream camera",
		perhaps for some pinnacle craftsmanship
		or more durable external materials technology ?
		Or better shutter mechanism ?
		At what point was black chrome introduced
		relative to black paint ?

	--> are the currently produced 'M' series lenses all compatible
		with all Leica M models ? With these various Leica M4
		especially ?

	--> I must say I enjoyed every moment of this Leica fantasy,
		childish as it may seem ... A Leica M4-2 with
		Summicron 35mm f/2 ASPH .... hummm, hummm !

	Thank you in advance for the information,

	Andre Jean Quintal

   "Of course, everybody knows pigs rule this World."

		Miss Piggy, in a private interview
		leading to her authorized life story.