Subject: Re: [Leica] Leica makes good
From: MC Lau <mclau@pc.jaring.my>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 12:00:11 +0900

You wrote:--

> I want again to give a warm round of thanks to the local Leica
> dealer here downunder, Adeal, who supplied me with a  replacement camera
> for the time mine was on the high sea -- almost 4 months away in total, and
> helped "pressure" Solms into a replacement this time around. It is too
> early to be sure, but so far the camera/winder combination has "snapped"
> without problem, and its time to run some film through it.

When the back panel of my R8 and winder combination displayed foreign
character set, and jammed intermittently, I reported the matter to the
local distributor here in Malaysia.  I also sent an email to Solms
detailing the problems encountered, and Soles immediately instructed the
local distributor to replace the R8 and winder combination without any
further question.

The new R8 and winder passed the acid test late June when I and another
Japanese American photographer traveled to Northern Pakistan, where we
visited the Kashmir region and the 1200 km Karakoram Highway.  The R8
survived the freezing temperature at the Khunjerab Pass, the grilling
heat of 44 degree C in Peshawar, and the dusty towns like Skardu and
Mingora along the way, and came back with 43 rolls of slide.  It was an
exciting trip overall, more so when we discovered that India started the
bombing of the Kashmir ranges 2 days after we left the region.

I too would like to thank the  local distributor here in Malaysia,
Schmidt Scientific and Leica Germany in replacing the defective camera
and winder in the most hassle free manner.

I have enjoyed immensely using the R8 in my last trip, and I hope
Alastair will too enjoyed using the R8 in his future projects.

MC Lau
Malaysia