Subject: RE: [Leica] Viso III release adjustment
From: "Simon Pulman-Jones" <spulmanjones@lbs.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 09:29:46 +0100

Dick,

The problem with your Viso sounds different to the problem I had. The
release lever of my Viso appeared to work fine when the Viso was not mounted
on the camera - it was just that the point at which the lever was tripping
the mirror was so late in its travel that it couldn't travel far enough to
trip the mirror when mounted on the camera - only when not on the camera.

Your problem sounds to be to do with the interface between the lever
mechanism and the mirror itself. On the Viso III the lever mechanism is
concealed behind a removable cover on the side of the main mirror box and is
thus easily accessible - from what I can see from pictures of the Viso II
there isn't the same easy access to the lever mechanism, though I may be
wrong.

On the Viso III the lever mechanism is for controlling the choice of mirror
lock-up, instant spring loaded mirror lift or quiet manual mirror lift. The
job of lifting the mirror itself is very simple - a lever (the result of the
release mechanism's motions) simply pushes on another lever which lifts the
mirror. If the Viso II is basically similar to the Viso III then I imagine
that this is where yours has the problem. It's such a simple mechanical
system that it ought to be pretty simple to repair - but if you do open it
up watch out for flying springs!

I'm sure there must be someone else on the LUG who can give you a much
better answer than this - I would go for a Viso III because of the extra
features, but the Viso II is nice and compact.

Good luck,

Simon.