Subject: Re: [Leica] some 90 mm lenses - and most used
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 15:51:15 -0700

Raimo Korhonen wrote:
><snip>
> Modern Photography magazine tested a bunch of Leica lenses in March 1986
> the 90mm Summicron got nothing but "excellent" - center and edge, all
> apertures ( BTW the same as 75mm Summilux) - and high contrast.
> So maybe the current Elmarit is best - or the new APO-Summicron is really
> the best - but "excellent" really does suffice for me.
> And so now you all can guess that my most used lens is the 90mm Summicron.
> All the best!
> Raimo
><snip>
> > Not that much lighter but quite a bit thinner and newer and according to
> > Erwin, better.
> > Mark Rabiner

I used to Love Modern Photography when it had those gravure centerpieces
in the late '70's and for a while so did the Popular which assimilated
Modern a few years back. A shame; both great gadget mags. These
testing's might be ok and not dominated by their advertised needs but
you should really check out Erwin Puts who writes for some more serious
magazines and more importantly contributes directly here on the Lug and
more importantly than that is the best, clearest and most convincing
photo tech writer I have read. I always thought I was widely read until
I came to this list where there are people who are much more widely read
then me. Erwins writings will come under criticism here but no telling
blows in my opinion. A first point of reference I would certainly call
him as well as the last but the real last being your own personal experience.
I use the name "Summicron" with almost reverence but in this case I
really think some Dog or Goldfish named Elmarit had won out for the
interim; nntil this very recent moment when Leica came out with the APO
ASHP. to keep the Summicron name in the forefront or as it's Flagship.
How bad could a Summicron be? I'm sure your lens is excellent. If you
ever get around to being able to compare it to the newer one or to an
Elmarit current you could see if there is a difference that bothers you.
I'm not personally fond of the way the older 90mm Summicron looks. The
feel and balance of the newer lenses are an issue. Advances are being made.
Mark Rabiner