Subject: Re: [Leica] contax G2?
From: Dan Bereskin <bereskin@sympatico.ca>
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 20:33:17 -0400

I have used Leica rangefinders for many years, and presently have an M6
with a 35mm f1.4 ASPH.    I purchased a G2 system when our first
grandchild was born, thinking that the G2 would be quicker to focus on a
moving subject.    My assessment of the G2 is that it is a very fine
camera, and the Zeiss lenses are superb.  For the vast majority of
photographers, I strongly doubt that any difference between Leica and
Zeiss optics would be noticeable.  Leica lenses tend to be a little
faster, but then you pay a huge amount more.  The G2 is automated, but
this is deceptive, because if you don't know what you're doing, you can
easily end up with photographs which are out of focus.  In dim light
situations, the Leica is not so easy for old eyes to focus, but you
adapt by setting the lens at the hyperfocal distance, and in general
shooting at small apertures.  Experienced photographers know by feel
where the focussing lever should be in relation to the camera/subject
distance.  With the G2, you must ensure that the focussing frame of the
autofocus is aimed at the right subject, and that the AF is working,
which some people find to be a problem with some textured subjects, and
also with the 90mm lens.  A typical mistake I made at first was shooting
two people, with the AF inadvertently focussing on the wall behind them
instead of on their faces.  When they stand ten feet in front of a wall,
you can imagine how out of focus the photographs will be!  With the G2,
film is wound on automatically, a very considerable advantage, the film
is advanced and rewound by motor, and the whole camera and lenses are
very samll and compact.  The G2 is growing on me, but you definately
cannot treat it as a point and shoot.  I'd say that for my intended
purpose, shooting moving subjects, it's hard to beat, especially in  dim
light situations.  People who shoot more than I do and for whom
focussing an M is instinctive, would not benefit as much from the G2.
I've touched on only a few of the features of the G2, and on few of the
shortcomings, e.g. you would not take such an automated camera into a
very cold environment without worrying about the batteries, etc.  My
conclusion: I'm delighted I can afford to have one of each!