Subject: [Leica] Re: Attacment for centering M6 on tripod
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Wed, 30 Jun 1999 21:31:06 EDT

In a message dated 6/30/99 4:01:43 PM Pacific Daylight Time,
csocolow@microserve.net writes:
<< I'll pursue this a little differently and in posting it to the LUG I'm
 more specifically interested in Tom Abrahamsson's thoughts. What is the
 possibility of machining grooves in the sides of the Rapidwinder to fit
 an Arca-type tripod release plate? Is there enough metal to cut that
 deep? I was thinking on the right side just out of the way of the
 advance lever.
 Carl Socolow
 http://members.tripod.com/SocPhoto/

Carl, I have investigated the possibility of machining these grooves in the
housing. There is not enough material in the sides to machine the "tracks".
It would weaken the sides of the Rapidwinder housing and adding material to
the outside would make the winder housing protrude outside the lines of the
camera.
 The current (latest) incarnation of the Rapidwinder housing has a 2nd tripod
bushing machined in it, in the same position as the traditional Leica
baseplate. This should enable you to put a mounting plate on the winder
housing and still clear the lever. This was not the intention when I
incorporated the 2nd bushing, it is there to allow the Rapidwinder Grip to be
mounted on the Rapidwinder (once the design is finalised and I have a chance
to make a prototype and check the fit and design use). Unfortunately, this
can only be adapted to the M6 housing, on the M2 housing it would interfere
with the drive-mechanism. I probably will make a couple of the Grips that can
be permanently adapted to M2 Rapidwinders, but it will not be a "regular"
production item.
All the best,
Tom A
Tom Abrahamsson