Subject: Re: [Leica] B&W film stock questions
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 18:27:21 -0700

Zeissleica@aol.com wrote:

> Hi all...><snip> the Delta
> 3200 is scary fast but hideously grainy at 3200 (both were shot wide open
> with my Noct).  Readings are perfect for EI 800 at 1.0/250 to 1.0/125.
>
> My question is thus:
>
> Is the Delta 3200 (EI 800) significantly better to justify trying it (I
> haven't shot it at that speed yet)?  Or should I look into another film stock
> altogether?  The EI 3200 exposures are just too contrasty and grainy for me
> to use.
>
> BTW, according to the tests I've done so far...
>
> - Royal Gold 100 is okay
> - Portra 160VC is better
> - Velvia 50 (shot at EI 40) is awesome, stunning and superlative (WOW!)
>
> I'm planning on getting the best of the bunch up on the Web within the next
> couple of weeks.
>
> /Mitch

Hey Mitch glad your back!
There's Fuji 800 that wedding photogs are using and I like for anything.
You won't get hideous grain with the Delta 3200 if you have it souped it
in Xtol.
It will look real mainstream and you won't need your Noct. Or a flash.
It's nice to stop down a few anyway unless your family has a habit of
standing in perfectly stright lines the same distance from your film
plane. I'd shoot is at a less scarey 1600 for me though a stop faster
than the Fuji color.
Good luck. Weddings are war! Bring a backup body.
Mark Rabiner
I'd shoot knees up with a 35mm.