Subject: Re: [Leica] OT: GeoCities Yahoo
From: Gary Elshaw <gary.elshaw@vuw.ac.nz>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 01:40:06 +1200

 Hi Mark,

I should have been more specific, sorry about that. I was meaning Jonathan
Swift. The Yahoos were the much maligned humans who had all but just fallen
out of the trees. They shared an island with horses who were the
"enlightened" and rational beings. So depending which way you want to
define it, we're either the superior or inferior species on the planet.
Wilburr!

Take care,
Gary

> Then again there is the Swiftian meaning to this, which can mean
> we're better than than everything else. Horses for courses I guess.
>
> Mark wrote:
>
> "Basically the invocation of the name "Yahoo" worldwide has to do with
> things catastrophic. <Snip>"

"The difficulty now is that unexceptional adults believe the loss of youthful
dreaming is itself "growing up," as though adulthood were the passive
conclusion to a doomed activity and hope during adolescence."

                'The Uses of Disorder: Personal Identity and City Life'
                                            -- Richard Sennett
OO
[_]<|
 /|\