Subject: RE: [Leica] 90/2.0 R how good???
From: "Andrew S Jordan" <andrewsjordan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 23:01:34 -0400

> Luggers,
>
> Still on my quest for my R8 kit.  How good is the 90/2.0?? How does it
> compare to the 90/2.8 The 2.0 was formulated in about 1969 and
> the 90/2.8 R
> in 1984.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Dick Hemingway

Dick: Do not worry about the design date. Walter Mandler and the other Leitz
designers were geniuses of lens design. Personally, I think that the 90mm f2
Summicron-R is an excellent lens. It particularly shines as a portrait lens.
My lens was given to my younger son as a college graduation present a year
ago and he has produced brilliant images of the Oregon coast and The Santa
Fe area with this optics. I replaced it with the 100mm f2.8 apo-elmarit
about which Popular Photography, Erwin, and Jim Brick are in agreement that
it is not only one of the champs in the R lineup but perhaps the best short
telephoto/macro lens ever made.

regards, Andrew Jordan