Subject: [Leica] Re: 90/2.0 R how good???
From: Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 23:36:51 -0400

"Richard W. Hemingway" <rheming@ibm.net> wrote:

> How good is the 90/2.0?? How does it compare to the 90/2.8
> The 2.0 was formulated in about 1969 and the 90/2.8 R
> in 1984.

Richard,

I've been using the Summicron-R for about 20 years.  Needless to say, I'm
delighted with it.  I love it wide open and at small apertures, at fast
shutter speeds and ungodly slow ones.  Whether it's the right lens for you
depends on your intended use: if you want macro capabilities, either the
90mm Elmarit-R with extension tubes or the 100 APO will be better.  If you
expect to use it in really dim light situations the 80 Summilux is your
lens.  For an occasional something faster than an Elmarit and no macro it's
great: the detail, contrast, color saturation and color balance are
excellent.  Ditto with the other lenses.  There are no crummy R lenses.

Doug Herr
Sacramento