Subject: [Leica] Re: 90/2.0 R how good???
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 99 11:26:32 +1000

"Richard W. Hemingway" <rheming@ibm.net> wrote:

> How good is the 90/2.0?? How does it compare to the 90/2.8
> The 2.0 was formulated in about 1969 and the 90/2.8 R
> in 1984.

I used the 90mm Summicron R for 6 months before trading
up to get the 100m R Apo.

I liked the 90/2 a lot, but I was really annoyed with
the thin focus-ring-grip (mine was a 1980's model).
Later Summicron models have increase the grip width slightly,
and have made the lens-hood a single entity rather than
the two-part lelescoping thing it was.

Optically, magnificient.  Not as good as the APO (duh),
but hand-held you don't notice and it is 1/2 the price...
The E55 filter size also makes your life easier.

Still for me, the APO made more sense as it can also
do macro shots (which the 90/2 doesn't).  Coped with
its whacko E60 filter size by getting a Tiffen 60->55
step-down ring.

Regds,

Andrew Nemeth
www.nemeng.com