Subject: Re: [Leica] Portra 160VC & 400VC
From: Zeissleica@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 06:26:18 EDT

In a message dated 7/2/99 12:00:47 AM Eastern Daylight Time,
sneeker@erols.com writes:

>  I have shot Portra 160VC and Portra 400VC back to back in the same
>  light/location and IMHO there are no distinct differences except the
>  additional f/ stop + in the 400VC.  The lens was an APO f/2.8 100mm and
>  an R7 body.  I cannot really see any loss in colour or any more grain in
>  the 400VC prints.

Hmmm.  I can see I will have some more fun testing which print film I want to
standardize on in the future.

>  For a more extended trial, I just picked up another brick of Portra
>  400VC -- 36 exposure rolls -- at Penn Camera @ $6.30/roll.

Where do you get your color processing (print and slide) done here locally?
And your B&W?

I've used Penn (very good with color prints, slides and B&W), Kodak Premium
through CVS (pretty good; the Portra was done here and looks pretty decent),
and Ritz Camera (mediocre to bad; the Kodak Royal Gold came back with
everything looking cyan like old Ektachrome 200).

>  FYI, I have not shot either Portra film in really low light.

I shot some of the Portra in National Cathedral.  Wow!  I love cathedrals and
have taken photos of them since high school, but this is the first time they
actually look like what I saw.  I shot a mix of the Noct and the Summaron on
tripod.

>  Best regards and may it be dark for your Noctilux!

Thanks, and the best of light to you!

/Mitch