Subject: [Leica] Cosina and Voigtlander
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Fri, 02 Jul 1999 11:23:51 -0400

At 10:23 PM 7/2/99 +1000, A H Schmidt wrote:

>Voigtlander, -who was screwed and ruined by the same companies who use
>the name now-

Hmm.  I believe an argument can be made that Voigtlander was fatally
screwed by Schering during the thirty years they owned it, and a bit by the
Zeiss Foundation when they merged it into Zeiss Ikon, but I believe the
name now belongs to a chain of German camera stores -- and all they have
ever done with the Voigtlander name and trademarks is to prostitute them,
as they never owned the company.  The Voigtlander concern was purchased by
Rollei out of the death-throes of Zeiss Ikon and was merged seamlessly into
Rollei, so that only the names survived when Rollei bankrupted in 1980.

So, no, I don't think it is fair to say that Voigtlander was "screwed and
ruined" by the current owners of the names.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!