Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Travel Security
From: "Jacques Bilinski" <jbilin@axionet.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 19:19:30 -0700

I once had my entire camera system stolen while riding a train in India at
the end of a great trip to northern India. My wife and I were heading back
home after visting the Himalayas in northeren India. We'd visited Kashmere,
Ladahk, the headwaters of the Ganges, and Darjeeling. I was sick in the
train - it was coming out of both ends at once, and I made a trip to the
bathroom leaving my camera case with my wife and other passengers. Usually I
keep it with me 24 hrs a day - but that time I didn't. I suspect the stuff
was stolen by a traveller working in conjunction with a local. Trains,
busses, etc are specially bad places for thefts.

Luckily I had my all my exposed film (except for the 3 rolls in the cameras)
in a money belt on my person. I carried only the 35mm casettes (to reduce
bulk) in a plastic bag (to keep sweat off them) in a cloth tube wrapped
around my waist. Now almost 20 years later, with a young family I am unable
to do that type of travelling for a while, but I enjoy seeing the slides
from that trip - many of the favorite shots I ever took. The cameras were
insured. But even if they had not been, the loss of the exposed film would
have been much worse. What I miss more than the cameras now are the 3 rolls
that were in them. Cameras (unless they have special sentimental value) can
be replaced, exposed fill can't.